Trying to find the root of this

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
goodboyCerberus
About me: They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Re: Trying to find the root of this

Post by goodboyCerberus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Steve wrote:
FBM wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:
RPizzle wrote:I think this needs to be here.

Ah good, just checking I had the hang of the quote function on this forum. All seems to be in order.
Yep. Still working. 8-)
Just curious about how deep we can nest the quotes.
Five deep. ;)
Ah, I see.
Charity Navigator - "Find a charity you can trust."

HughMcB
Location: Toronto, Canada. . . . . . . . . . . . . (natural habitat: Ireland)

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Timonenfail wrote:We are all very excited about the new changes.
Quote-mine Dawkins wrote:If I ever had any doubts that RD.net needs to change, and rid itself of this particular aspect of Internet culture, they are dispelled by this episode.

fredbear

Post by fredbear » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 pm

Comte de Saint-Germain wrote:LOL. My comment which was merely critical, not abrasive, course or insulting was removed simply on the basis of disagreement. Shows exactly the credentials of the people agreeing with Josh.. :lol:
i was wondering why no one else had commented on gavin's blog.
i checked back there this morning to find all but my initial comment had also been deleted, leaving gavin's comments to tell the story. he had to leave my initial comment to give his replies context.
he'd removed my reasoned and calm defence of the forum as a support community. he'd also removed my link to peter's blog. he further removed my query as to whether he knew the andrea woman to whose defence he sprung in the thread that so upset him. i'm guessing she was the decent 24 year old to whom he so fondly refers.
i posted 2 further comments asking why these comments were no longer there. on checking this evening they have been deleted. although there was a rdf hating comment by doug there!
earlier i noticed gavin online at the old rdf site. i sent him a message. it was not opened.
i guess we have bigger fish to fry but orland has garnered a reputation since his pledge on "thought for the day" and i guess there may be a lot of traffic on his site.

fredbear

Post by fredbear » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

this btw is the latest foray.

http://www.gavinorland.org/human-relati ... suspended/

he is claiming many vitriolic comments have deleted by him before posting. funny that mine went up automatically and were later deleted. i haven't seen any vitriolic comments. i smell a rat.

i posted this comment;

"please gavin do publish this venom you are deleting to prove your point. it seems to me that my perfectly reasoned comments are being routinely deleted leaving only those that are in line with your own view. those would be your comments then."

fredbear

Post by fredbear » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 pm

i think i'm flogging a dead horse, as the way gavin orland runs his blog makes the present handling of the front page commentary look utopian but here's my latest phoenix comment to replace the others missing in action.

"ah that’s better.thank you gavin. maybe my other comments were removed in error in which case i apologise.

now this was my last deleted comment;
“please gavin do publish this venom you are deleting to prove your point. it seems to me that my perfectly reasoned comments are being routinely deleted leaving only those that are in line with your own view. those would be your comments then.”
on the original thread i posted a long reasoned defence of the valued rdf community but no need to repeat it as others have spoken more eloquently than i and from a more informed position.
i referred you to peter harrison’s blog. rather than post a number of links i will post this link to a thread on a new forum for former members of rdf. this is attempting to collate a comprehensive answer to what actually happened.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/viewt ... f=40&t=454

this open letter to richard dawkins will give an idea of the human story too;

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/rdf/

i will post a copy of this comment on the other sites to let them know that your readership can have access to the full facts now.

thank you gavin.

ps i do apologise for my preference for lower case. it’s a lazy affectation not necessarily an indication of illiteracy. i think i posted that previously."

Comment by fredbear — Saturday 27th February 2010 #